[Fwd: Re: "Genesis Reconsidered"]

From: Massie (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 10:39:30 EST

    attached mail follows:

    George Andrews wrote:

    > Massie wrote:
    >
    > > Quite to the contrary. ID argues that there is no reasonable exptation
    > > of a yet undiscoverd scientific principle of organization of information
    > > of this complexity from chaos and therefore we need a God. This is not
    > > about filling in God where we just do not know something.
    > >
    > > However, the other side feels that any attempt to posit that information
    > > came from a non-physical source is a vain attempt to insert God of the
    > > gaps.
    > >
    > > Bert M
    >
    > Could you tell me how the ID camp handles information generation found in
    > symbol sequences course grained from chaotic attractors which naturally occur
    > in nature; e.g. BZ reactions? (see Prigogine's book "Complexity") It seems to
    > me that this obviates the need for new physics or God and offers "reasonable
    > expectation" of an explanation for "specified complexity" based on present
    > knowledge of nonlinearity.
    >
    > Thanks
    > George A.

    > Name: gandrews.vcf
    > Part 1.2 Type: text/x-vcard
    > Encoding: 7bit
    *******************

    Not familier with this specific expample. But, I have seem examples
    from various sources which were claimed to be "specified complexity"
    arrising from physical mechanisms.

    What is the overwhelming evidence? The overwhelming evidence is for
    many complex features in biological organisms without the faintest
    suggestion by anyone as to how they might form gradually and
    saltationism begs for a creator.

    I think we can reasonably expect some certain "complex" thinks to fall
    out of physics. Salt crystals have certain lattice structures and so
    forth but not much sc here. Approaching this issue from the margins is
    not very convincing.

    Obviously I would appeal to the flagellium of Bethe and perhaps you
    could outline for us how this came into being.

    I will examine the book you referred to shortly but again, I think I
    have seen at least in summary most of this.