Re: Living with the liabilities

From: Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 21:07:59 EST

    Hi Burgy, you wrote:
    >Dick Fischer wrote:

    >OK, I understood you to have claimed this. And, I admit, it does make a
    >lot of sense. What it does NOT do is answer my question -- just when did
    >Imago Dei first appear?

    I see two options. First look at Gen. 1:27: "So God created (bara) man
    (‘adam)
    in his own image, in the image of God created (bara) he him; male and female
    created (bara) he them."

    If by "creation" we can say "through evolution" and if 'adam means "generic
    man"
    and not Adam the husband to Eve and father of Cain, Abel and Seth, then you
    could say that this verse pertains to the creation of mankind as they sprang
    from ape ancestry. If this works for you, then every hominid that ever walked
    the earth bears the iamage of God whatever that means.

    On the other hand, if bara means an act of special creation and if 'adam is
    Adam, then the image originates about 7,000 years ago and follows the line of
    descent of the Jews until Christ makes it available for all.

    Today, if you like the first choice, everyone is in the image of God. If you
    prefer the second choice (as I do), then it only accrues to followers of
    Christ.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."