Urban legend?

From: Ted Davis (TDavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 08:33:57 EST

    The story about the barometer is wonderful, but almost surely apocryphal, at
    least as it applies to Bohr. Rutherford was Bohr's postdoctoral mentor, at
    Manchester, shortly before the war: Bohr had earned a doctorate on Planck's
    theory before coming to England to work with Thomson at Cambridge, but he
    didn't get on well with Thomson so he moved on. I just can't imagine
    anything of this kind happening. However, I would offer the highly
    speculative hypothesis that perhaps Bohr himself told this story, which he
    knew that anyone close to physics would recognize as a pure joke. He was
    well known for his sense of humor.

    Ted Davis