Re: [Fwd: Re: Two Times]

George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:41:33 -0500

--------------72CE49B70F334CD95FEFD921

Hi guys;

I thought I would interject a little.

Thanks

Massie wrote:

> Subject: Re: Two Times
> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 07:53:38 -0800
> From: Massie <mrlab@ix.netcom.com>
> To: Starkja@aol.com
>
> Starkja@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 12/19/1999 10:02:37 PM, Bert wrote:
> >
> > <<Jim
> >
> > Yes we cannot for certainly know the past because we cannot perform an
> > experiment
> > on the past. Thus, only laws are testable not past events.

Actually it is quite the opposite. The information gleaned from all astronomical
observations is "from the past" It is the present state of the universe that we are
ignorant of; e.g., the sun that lights our world is about 8 minutes old and may
presently be exploding.

> > OK, I have no problem with projections from equations to estimate the past,
> > especially when it allows further experimental work. I do question the
> > projection of what might happen if observers are presumed to move near the
> > speed of light. I do not think equations are that good for estimating truth.
> >
> > Besides more and more physicists are questioning the speed of light, itself.
> > It may have been much faster in the past.
> > Jim

The physicist that I hang with do not question the speed of light's constancy; only
its value to the n'th place. In the past, measurement techniques were cruder and
therefore gave different values. Such is progress.

The speed of an EM wave in a vacuum is a consequence of Maxwell's theory of
radiation and independent of observer or measurement.

Chow
George A.

--------------72CE49B70F334CD95FEFD921

begin:vcard
n:Andrews Jr.;George
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:College of William & Mary
version:2.1
email;internet:gandrews@as.wm.edu
title:Graduate Student, Applied Sciences
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:George Andrews Jr.
end:vcard

--------------72CE49B70F334CD95FEFD921--