Re: Where has the church has had to change

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:32:15 PST

Hi ASA...

Thanks for your penetrating analysis once again Paul. It seems to me fairly
obvious that the understanding of the physical universe of the people that
God's word came to has been largely irrelevant to the Holy Spirit's mission
in this world. After all the Law and the Prophets can be summarised in
Ezekiel's terms as "repent and do good"... very little matters beyond that
for the Spirit I'd say.

In such issues I'd argue that Truth is always good and a good to strive
for... God tailors His message to our understanding, or at least His
servants do.

Adam

PS
Considering the absurdities believed about the composition of the Bible by
educated believers, like Josephus in the C1st, then I'd say we also have to
reassess our attitudes towards textual criticism as well. "Pious fraud"
might sound ugly but Jeremiah accused the scribes of his day of something
very close to that [Jer 8:8; also 7:22...]