*imposing our theology

jeff witters (WITTERSJ@ESUVM.EMPORIA.EDU)
Thu, 09 Dec 99 10:12:23 CT

Hi! I just had to make a comment.

Moorad wrote on Wed, 08 Dec 99:

>If the Bible does not say something explicitly, then one has
>to assume something

>The question is to realize that all such assumptions are on
>equal footing

All such ASSUMPTIONS are on equal footing as assumptions, which
then flavor interpretation. So if we both stood before a table
with a small chunk of rock lying on it, and I said, "Look
there's a rock," that would be interpretation based on certain
assumptions I already have (presuppositions). Why is that
interpretation? I interpreted its appearance and called it one
name rather than another. You might say, "Au contraire, that is
indeed a marshmallow." That is your rightful interpretation.
All is fair for argument until I say, "So, tell me how that
marshmallow tastes."

Just a thought (which is of course based on assumptions and
presuppositions) from the sidelines. ;)

Peace be with you. Jeff