Re: Phil Johnson's agenda

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 15:48:29 -0500

Moorad Alexanian wrote:

> Dear George,
>
> Is one doing theology when one asks deep questions about life that on the
> surface have nothing to do with God?

Good question. In one sense the answer is "Yes." If a person's "God" is
whatever one places ultimate trust & reliance on (as Luther says in the Large Catechism)
then reflection on, or discussion of, that object of trust can be called that person's
theology. Of course in many cases it may be very bad theology (e.g., if someone's
ultimate reliance is on having lots of money).
But that's a theoretical answer. I would be hesitant about telling a
self-proclaimed atheist that he or she wasn't "really" an atheist but "believed in
a God", true as it might be in the above sense, because it would seem to deny the
seriousness of the person's concern & commitment & intellectual integrity. & for the
same reason I'd hesitate to say that that person's reflections on his or her beliefs was
"theology." Then in ongoing conversation, if it were possible, I'd hope to make it
clear that that person did have an object of ultimate trust & reliance, & that the God
revealed in & through Jesus is more trustworthy & reliable.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com