Re: A neat syllogism

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 13:58:59 -0500

Moorad Alexanian wrote:

> Dear George,
>
> Can one summarize what you are saying by the following substitutions in
> Philippians 2:12-13:
>
> "So then, my beloved (Nature), just as you have always obeyed (My Laws), not
> as in my presence only (in the act of creation ex nihilo), but now much more
> in my absence (present time), work out your salvation (Your laws) with fear
> and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you (Nature), both to will
> and to work for His good pleasure."
>
> I realize that these verses refer to the realm of the spiritual, but it
> seems to me that they describe, in a general sense, God's interaction with
> His whole creation.

There is some similarity. Even in their original setting the verses are
remarkable with their emphasis on human responsibility coupled with an apparently
all-determining activity of God - "Pelagius, meet Augustine." OTOH, Paul is clearly
_exhorting_ a human response, which only makes sense if we are able _not_ to respond.
& nature doesn't have to be "exhorted" to obey its laws - it doesn't have any choice.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com