Re: Mediterranean flood

mortongr@flash.net
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 23:00:20 +0000

At 10:05 PM 10/30/1999 -0600, dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:

>Sorry, but the evidence you cite demonstrates that the area was once
>under at least 200 m of water. Granted, it might have been under up to
>600 m, but the quotation as given assures no more than 200 m. One must be
>careful not to read too much of what one wants into the data.

Let me put it this way. The experts believe that it was deep, the geology
says it was deepwater sedimentation, and you want to disagree with them.
Upon what basis do you make such a conclusion?

It is obvious that you have never worked deep water geology. I manage a
group of men and women who look for oil and gas from 1000 feet deep to
10,000 feet deep. I will tell you that the ocean bottom does not go down to
200 m and then remain flat, as would be the case over all of Northern Italy
if you were correct. That is not the way things work. Because the region
was still connected to the bathyal Mediterranean, there would have been a
slope from the shore in Switzerland (or further north in Italy) to the
bathyal regions. I would argue that because there are turbidites in the
Tortonian of northern Italy at this time, the water bottom there almost
certainly had to be close to the bathyal level. Why? Because in general if
you have deepwater sedimentation, the turbidites won't stop on a steep
slope, they are channelized down to the basin where they then stop and
deposit turbidites. And given that the geology of the area falsifies the
concept of a platform up at -200m elevation resting above a -1500 m basin.

Now the absolute death of the idea you are trying to peddle (why I don't
know) is the thickness of the Pliocene, Pleistocene and Quaternary
sediments found in the Po Basin ABOVE the eel. There are 3444 ft of
Quaternary (Holocene and Pleistocene) sediment in Ripalta GAs field in
Northern Italy. The lowermost 1500 feet of this is marine sedimentation.
Under this are, there 1931 feet of Pliocene strata which is open marine.
This gives a total of 5376 feet of sediment, almost 3500 feet was deposited
in the ocean. Now in order for these thick sediments to be there (even
assuming isostasy) there had to be a hole of around 2/3 of that thickness
in order to accomodate the space that the sediments occupy. That means
that the waters had to be close to 2300 feet deep for these marine
sediments to be deposited where they are. (see V. Fois, Ripalta Gas Field,
AAPG 1953, p. 657-659)

You also forget that Struani said that the water depth was hundreds of
meters deep. One does not usually use that phrase for only 200 m. One
usually reserves 'hundreds of meters' for something 300 m plus.

I will give you one more quotation. The author is speaking of the Piedmont
area of Northern Italy.

"After the Burdigalian the whole region was covered with a thick turbiditic
sandstone and marl formation (Cortemilia Formation, Gelati, 1968); this
indicates that the normal siliceous-clastic deep-water sedimentation was
re-established." p. 188

>My CD Britannica notes that the evaporites at the bottom of the
>Mediterranean "reach up to several kilometers in thickness." I calculate
>that a cube of sea water 1 m on a side will evaporate to leave about 1.6
>cm of salts. So a kilometer of deposit represents 60 km of evaporated sea
>water. This is over twelve times the deepest area, or about 40 times the
>average depth. "Several" requires us to multiply that by more than two.
>That's quite an influx.

Yes it is. And I would say that man was there only at the end of the desert
phase.

>The same source describes the area as "a dry desert nearly 10,000 fett
>below the present sea level." Could life have survived there, as in Death
>Valley? Probably. But I note that the necessities of life are imported
>into Death Valley, not produced there.

Death Valley, as I noted and you ignored, does not have the Nile river, the
Rhone river, and other rivers pouring water into it. The Mediterranean
desert would have had the Nile as it was in existence at that time and cut
a deep gorge under Cairo.

Scotty managed because he took
>over the one source of fresh water and somebody poured money in.
>Otherwide he would have headed for greener pastures or a well-watered
>farm. I submit that anyone smart enough to build an ark would have headed
>for higher ground unless the Mediterranean was fenced.

Maybe, but the Mediterranean contained about 4/1000s of the earth's
atmosphere.When the basin filled up it pushed air from there hundreds of
kilometers away. It would have caused a front of air that had come up from
the basin. Remember what happens to air that rises, it condenses and rains.
Thus, there would have been widespread flooding all around the perimeter
of the Mediterranean. There would have been no safety for hundreds of miles.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm