Re: Fable telling

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:55:32 -0400

Dan Eumurian wrote:

> I'm enjoying the thread, especially the concise, insightful comments
> like those quoted below. Perhaps the terms "pre-evangelism" (not
> original with me) or "co-evangelism" would be appropriate to describe
> the use of apologetics with non-Christians. Intellectual issues such as
> the question of origins, and emotional factors such as a sense of
> contingency, may precede, accompany or follow the volitional decision to
> trust Christ as Savior and Lord. While these supportive elements are not
> the *main event*, they may be a vital *opening act*.

I think that a significant problem with apologetics as it is often
practiced is that it doesn't keep its eye on the evangel & buys into a lot
of presuppositions which compromise the Christian message. That can have the result
that even if a person accepts the gospel it may be it truncated form. We need
to take seriously the questions & challenges which people outside the church have,
but do not have to respond to them on their terms.
> I was quite shocked to read a column in our local daily paper on Sept.
> 17 by Jill R. Labbe of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, headlined
> "[Intolerance:] Don't try to convert those of other faiths." Applied to
> science, this would read, "Keep your theories and the results of your
> research to yourself." Please e-mail me off-list if you'd like a copy. .............................
Christians should remember the whole sordid history of forced "conversions"
of Jews, Saxons, Native Americans &c appreciate why many people are wary of attempts
to convert those of other faiths. OTOH, there often is operative here a "pluralism"
which claims not only that we should respect other faiths (which we should) but that
Christianity can be true "for you" while Buddhism, Wicca, &c can be equally true "for
me" - a claim which ultimately shows no respect for any of those faiths because it
reduces them all to something which may give someone a warm feeling in their tummy.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/