Re: Fable telling

George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:03:02 -0400

--------------A9880665F47CC7A09CB87507

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> IGlenn rightly worries that a faith which tries to force-fit science into a
> particular view of Scripture will not be credible to a scientist. And he
> rightly worries that a faith that must gloss lightly over chapters of
> Scripture is in danger of glossing over ever more Scripture every year.
> But the answer does not, I believe lie totally in rigorous scholorship.
> Mostly it lies in our acknowledgement that the Lord has done something in
> our lives that the world doesn't undersand and living according to His
> direction. That means we may not be able to explain in terms a
> nonchristian can understand why we have the confidence we do in our faith.
> But we had better be showing by example that we are living according to our
> faith. And that requires honesty and rigorous scholarship -- but it's no
> good if you don't have that unexplainable Presence in your life in the
> first place.
> Bill Hamilton

I would like to add my humble Amen to this. Is not the ultimate--and only
confirmation--of our faith the indwelling Spirit? While this is admittedly
subjective, it points to the primacy of faith; besides, all supports are
circumstantial at best.

"The Spirit bears witness to our spirits, that we are the sons of God."

George A.

--------------A9880665F47CC7A09CB87507

begin:vcard
n:Andrews Jr.;George
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:College of William & Mary
version:2.1
email;internet:gandrews@as.wm.edu
title:Graduate Student, Applied Sciences
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:George Andrews Jr.
end:vcard

--------------A9880665F47CC7A09CB87507--