Re: Big Bang dissent

mortongr@flash.net
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 06:11:34 +0000

At 08:55 PM 10/24/1999 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:
>I borrowed from a library _Quasar's Redshifts and Controversies_, so
>unfortunately I don't have that book to refer to. And I loaned my copy
>of _Seeing Red_ to a friend for him to read, so I don't have that one
>either. but perhaps I can make a few comments from memory.
>
>I agree, and Arp would also I think, that the red-shift quantization is
>not as clean and sharp as in electronics. But he did plot redshifts and
>there are distinct peaks in the frequency of occurrence. From what
>little I understand, this could be due to quantum jumps in the red shift
>(as Arp contends), or due to an uneven distribution of matter (if we
>assume red shift is due to recessional velocity).

Quantization is like pregnancy. Either you are or you aren't.

The latter
>interpretation results in maps showing vast areas of empty space and
>"walls" of galaxies. If Arp is correct, then there may be no "walls" of
>galaxies. Do you agree, Glenn, or do I have this wrong?

Actually, I am wanting to move away from a debate about Arp. I don't find
his views worth the time.

>Just trying to keep an open mind. The caustic comments Arp received from
>some of his reviewers are similar to those I've received because of my
>own views on coal, which I know are firmly grounded in the data - data
>for which a couple of geologists here in Alabama recently admitted to me
>they have no explanation. I guess my own experience makes me a little
>more sympathetic towards Arp.

Maybe, but remember this, when I was a YEC, I received similar caustic
treatment towards my YEC views. I was wrong and my views deserved such
treatment. When I peddle an oil deal, and fail to sell it, the market
place is telling me something. It is telling me that something is wrong
with my deal--either the science or the economics. The market place of
ideas is telling Arp the same thing. It is also telling you the same thing
about your like from coal to the global flood.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm