Re: Big Bang dissent

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:04:45 -0600

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:29:00 -0400 bivalve@mailserv0.isis.unc.edu (David
Campbell) writes:

>If the high redshift results from their being ejected from galaxies, it
is
>recessional velocity but unrelated to the Big Bang.

In that case, as you pointed out, there should be as many blue shifts as
red, but there are not.

I do remember seeing
>an article that proposed that redshift was quantized and not related to
>velocity, but do not think Arp was involved. The data looked like a
much
>better match for uneven distribution of matter than for distinctly
>quantized values to my relatively ignorant eye.

Actually, Arp reports knots of matter strung out along some jets, with
the red shift decreasing as the age of the knots increases, ie as the
knots more distant from the nucleus. Arp proposes that matter is newly
created (converted from energy, I think) and ejected in the jets. He
proposes that the younger matter is more highly red shifted because it is
younger, and as it ages it's red shift decreases. And yes, he does show
a tendency for the red shift to be quantized - not as a result of uneven
distribution of matter but as a result of jumps in the decrease. If Arp
is correct, then the "walls" and "strings" of galaxies are not there.

>Someone in physics should be able to give details, but I should think
that
>the Doppler effect in light has plenty of laboratory support. Redshift
>does reflect recessional velocity when we experiment with it here.

Yes, and Arp doesn't deny that. I think he says that recessional red
shift may contribute to noise which smears the quantization of red shift.

>There are lots of stars, galaxies, and the like, so line of sight
coincidences
>are relatively common. I do not see a need to invoke something
>different.

Because of trails of luminous matter connecting paired (and some
non-paired) quasars to lower red-shift galaxies.

> Enough data
>can force a change in prevailing theories (e.g., the acceptance of plate
>tectonics, evolution, or relativity); demonstrating the need for change
>from the data will be more productive than berating science.

My apologies, I'll try to behave a little better in the future.

Bill