Re: Fable telling

mortongr@flash.net
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:41:06 +0000

At 08:14 AM 10/20/1999 -0600, Allan Harvey wrote:
>Glenn wrote, about God:
>
>"And if he tells us a fable when he
>could easily tell us the truth, then he is not to be trusted."
>
>Jesus told the parable of the Good Samaritan, when he could easily have told
>the plain truth about who our neighbor is. By Glenn's logic, I suppose Jesus
>is not to be trusted?

But as I have pointed out numerous times (and those citing this example
continue to ignore), this was in the midst of an intellectual argument. It
is clearly an hypothetical example to make Jesus' point. Genesis isn't in
that category. Now some questions for you. Is lying a sin? Is telling
falsehoods to be praised and applauded? Is deceit the correct course of
action? Is a parent to be trusted who tells their child that there is no
god? Should we applaud the megalomaniacal man who erroneously and
knowingly claims that he created the world? Should the child trust and
believe the parent? Should the child believe the parent who tells him that
the world was made by a great big caterpillar who became pregnant by having
an affair with a horse? Should the child believe the parent who tells him
it is ok to steal? And should the child believe the parent who tells him
that it is ok to have promiscuous sex?

To answer your question, if I believed that Jesus lied in the Good
Samaritan example, I would cease being a christian. Another question. Are
the following verses untrue?

Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are
judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he. 5They
have corrupted themselves, their spot is not the spot of his children: they
are a perverse and crooked

Isaiah 65:16 That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself
in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the
God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they
are hid from mine eyes.

1 John 2:27 And as for you, the anointing which ye received of him abideth
in you, and ye need not that any one teach you; but as his anointing
teacheth you; concerning all things, and is true, AND IS NO LIE, and even
as it taught you, ye abide in him.

Hebrews 6:18 God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it
is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope
offered to us may be greatly encouraged.

So, if I felt that Jesus lied, I would not remain a christian. I will say
this, that Paul Seely should know the depths of sincerity with which I say
this. Why would I want to worship a liar????? I have a president for that
purpose.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology