Re: Fable telling

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:23:45 -0400

At 10:31 AM 10/19/99 -0600, John W. Burgeson wrote:
>Glenn wrote, about God:
>
>"And if he tells us a fable when he
>could easily tell us the truth, then he is not to be trusted."
>
>My parents told me about Santa Claus when I was
>very young. By your logic, my parents are not to be trusted.

Burgy's point is well-taken, although one could argue that human parents
are not perfect. But Glenn, I think you are misrepresenting what George
and Howard are saying, as well as trying to second guess what God ought to
do. I'll let George and Howard try to clarify what they _are_ saying, but
I suspect they will take exception to your claim that they relegate early
Genesis to the category of fable. For my part I would say that it
shouldn't matter if the account of an occurrence in Genesis takes some
poetic license to make a point. After all, the author is God, whose
decision on whether straight fact or some form of poetry or drama to is the
most effective teaching tool is infallible. And II Tim 3:16 applies in
either case. Secondly, I don't think the issue is what God _could easily_
do. After all, He can do anything that doesn't violate His nature. The
issue is what did God _intend_ to do?
Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
Staff Research Engineer
Electrical and Controls Integration MC 480-106-390
GM R&D Center
30500 Mound Road
Warren, MI
hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com / whamilto@mich.com (home)