Re: Gaps

dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:14:21 -0600

From: bivalve@mailserv0.isis.unc.edu (David Campbell)
To: asa@calvin.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:29:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Gaps
Sender: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
David Cambell replied to Gary collins on October 18:

>Yes, I echo Glen's point. For many years I've been telling my students
the
>same thing, that everytime a new "transitional" form is discovered,
>creationists can always claim that now we have two new gaps where there
used
>to be one.
>
>Can anyone offer actual examples of people claiming this, however?

My notes are at home, but I believe Scott Huse in The Collapse of
Evolution
was trying to claim the lack of transitional forms between the various
Cenozoic horses was evidence for special creation. How one can fit an
intermediate between them is not clear to me. For that matter, he
elsewhere claimed kinds were roughly equivalent to families, so evolution
from one species or genus of horse to another should not be a problem for
him.

David C.

On a quick look trhough Huse, I do not find a reference to the horse
sequence. But there is an interesting quotation on p. 45:
The coelecanth was once cited as an intermediate, but has subsequently
been disqualified. Instead of being extinct for millions of years, the
coelecanth wasdiscovered to be very much alive in 1938.

This provides an unusual requirement for any theory of evolution.

Dave