Re: Mediterranean flood

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 10:25:29 -0400

At 08:27 PM 9/30/99 +0000, mortongr@flash.net wrote:

>You and I agree that Genesis 1 teaches evolution. But I would like a
>better explanation of how you concord a vision as presented in Genesis 1
>with the evolutionary record. The order of events is so out of proper order
>only by an ad hoc assumption of making overlapping days can the order be
>correlated with the evolutionary record.

This is a very remarkable statement, Glenn. First you say Genesis 1
teaches evolution. Next you point out that it doesn't teach the correct
chronolgy of evolution.

I think it's fair to say that Genesis teaches about origins in a way that
allows -- even encourages -- evolutionary interpretation[see below]. But I
think it's a mistake to claim it teaches evolution as it is currently
understood by the scientific community. (And I know you didn't say that,
but I want to rule out any possibility that you will be misinterpreted) By
this I am not intending to claim that it teaches evolution as it will
someday be understood by the scientific community. That's not its intent.
Its intent is to teach about God's activity in creation in a way that can
be understood by all generations. Of necessity, that means it will not
agree in all details with the current scientific views of any era.

[A few passages in Gen 1 that imply evolution (nay even abiogenesis)]

Gen 1:11,12 (Let the earth sprout vegetation,...and the earth brought forth
vegetation...)

Gen 1:24 (Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth [the] living
creature[s] after its kind..." and it was so.

Gen 1:24 gives us a clue about _how_ God creates and oversees the
development and operation of nature: He commands nature and nature
responds. The notion of God as One who speaks is of course reiterated
throught Scripture (opening passages of Psalm 19 for example)
Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
Staff Research Engineer
Electrical and Controls Integration MC 480-106-390
GM R&D Center
30500 Mound Road
Warren, MI
hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com / whamilto@mich.com (home)