Re: Numerology

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 09:38:37 -0600

At 11:12 AM 9/9/99 -0400, Paul A. wrote:
(with regard to Biblical numerology, to whatever extent that isn't an oxymoron)

>Skeptics might point out that all the numbers involved are
>small, which increases the likelihood that interrelationships
>will exist. If there were a trillion letters in the alphabet, there
>would be far less instances of matching. And how probabilities
>are calculated depends on some assumptions. There don't
>seem to be a lot of 'controlled' experiments such as
>attempts to find similar coincidences in secular books.

Actually there has been at least one such effort. I don't have time to
look for the reference, but I recall that some people produced results
similar to "The Bible Code" using as their text a Hebrew translation of
"War and Peace".

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |