RE: Year of Destiny?!

Charles Cairns (cairnsc@iserv.net)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:00:32 -0400

Vernon wrote in part:

> (2) HEBREW AND GREEK WORDS MAY BE READ AS NUMBERS - this follows from
> the historically-based use of letters as numerals by these early
> peoples. Because the original documents upon which all Bible
> translations are based were largely written in these languages, they
> therefore also represent sets of numbers!

As I recall from Religion 101 (it's been awhile, so forgive the lack of a
reference), the earliest versions of the Pentateuch are believed to have been
recorded in cuneiform (a syllabic and pictographic system). If true, doesn't
that make Hebrew numerological curiosities no more interesting than those found
in, say, English?

--Charles