Re: Year of Destiny?!

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:42:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> We are rapidly approaching a significant conjunction in world history.
> By a remarkable coincidence(?)a unique Anno Mundi (according to the
> Jewish calendar) will overlap a rather special Anno Domini.

Vernon,

I wouldn't attach any more significance to this coincidence than I do to
most other coincidences. Of course, since God is sovereign, no coincidence
is a mere coincidence, but the calendars we use are not inspired. Although
we may refer to next year as the 2000th year of our Lord, it is really
more than that because of a known error (probably about four years) made
in setting it up. The computation of this coming year as being the 5760th
year of the world is based on some very questionable assumptions (and that
is a huge understatement). Furthermore, the numbering of the Jewish months
in use today begins six months later than the system that I see used in
the Old Testament.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado