Re: Been there, done that: rewards and "proofs"

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:21:29 -0600

At 03:05 PM 9/2/99 -0400, Ted Davis wrote:
>The recent post reminds me of Rimmer's offer to pay $100 (later upped to
>$1000) "to anyone who can prove that there is even one scientific error in
>the Bible!" He was sued twice in unsuccessful attempts to collect.

I'm curious, do you (or anybody out there) know what scientific claims
the two unsuccessful suits were based on? And on what grounds the courts
declined to make Rimmer pay?

An obvious choice would be Jesus calling the mustard the smallest of all
seeds. I suppose Rimmer could have claimed the Bible was accurate in its
reporting and that it was Jesus who made the "scientific error," but that
doesn't sound like a strategy Rimmer would have taken.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |