Re: St. Basil's 400AD view of the Days of proclamation

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:52:42 -0400

mortongr@flash.net wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> This will be my last note on this topic for a while. It is time to shut it
> down. At least I think it is time. THis has been a fascinating discussion
> and I do feel that we came to a much better understanding of each other's
> positions. Thanks.

I agree. Just a couple of quick comments:
1) I'm responsible for introducing the term "domino theory" but it's a little
misleading. After a couple of centuries of historical criticism of the Bible just about
every possible extreme of dehistoricisizing of Scripture has been undertaken - Jesus
never lived &c. The view that I argue for, which is actually quite conservative in
comparison with things like the Jesus Seminar or people arguing that the Exodus never
happened - can hardly be seen as the first domino which will lead to complete
de-historicizing.
2) If Jairus' daughter being raised 2 or 3 times is a real possibility then
virtually all the language in the Bible can be "historicized" up to & including the 23d
Psalm. (If Nebuchadnezzar was turned into a beast who ate grass then maybe the psalmist
_was_ literally led to pasture by God!) Some may consider such a possibility wonderful.
I think it's a kind of "historicizing" that's lost touch with the real world.

Shalom,
George

--
George L. Murphy