Re: re-whales from rodents

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:56:04 PDT

Hi ASA,

Ah Illumination... so that's where he pulls it from! Irony is that we now
have the evolutionary sequence of whales and it took only about 10-15
million years that Stanley calls "preposterous". I suspect that bats evolved
even quicker, along with pterosaurs - the other "eye-blink"
evolution-of-flight example. Of course all such "instantaneous" lineages
show evolution towards their modern forms and retention of ancient
characters in their oldest forms - the first bat is still mostly a primitive
insectivore.

On a side note bats do kind of recapitulate some of what their ancestors
faced - young bats fly with less than adult wing proportions and less than
adult ability. Many don't survive - often walking back to their roosts in
exhaustion and falling prey to predators. A strong selective pressure exists
even in modern bats.

There's a lot we don't know but no reason to think there isn't more to
know...

Adam