Re: Where does the information come from?

George Andrews (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:45:35 -0400

--------------C56DA011CA40F214B5E76B32

Hi Loren;

Loren Haarsma wrote:

> My question in each of the three scenarios is simply this: Where did
> the increase in information come from?
>
> Here's the punchline: ...(snip) To use Dembski's terminology, Cog's
> variable set after
> learning a task is a low-probability specified set of numbers.)
>
> Where did that information come from?

The (preprogrammed by an intelligent being) objective to "point at a
specific object" selects a subspace of successful variable thereby creating
the observed reduced set of variables containing information in that the
set is o longer random.

> Here's the punchline: (snip) Thus, this
> instruction string contains a lot of information. (To use Dembski's
> terminology, it is a low-probability specified string.)
>
> Where did that information come from?

information by "hit or miss".

> Here's the punchline: If we run this program for a while, I expect we
> will find our 4-dimensional maze populated with many programs with long
> instruction strings. Once again, there will be many different
> "successful" instruction strings. But out of all possible bit strings,
> only a very tiny fraction would successfully live inside the maze.
>
> Where did that information come from?

Again, the desired out come selects the soln. space.

Are you aware of that natural systems, e.g. BZ reactions, fluid flow
experiments, etc., all generate information rich sequences? (See Exploring
Complexity, Nicolis and Prigogine)

George A.

--------------C56DA011CA40F214B5E76B32

begin:vcard
n:Andrews Jr.;George
tel;home:757 565 2890
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:College of William & Mary;Department of Applied Sciences
adr:;;;Williamsburg;VA;23188;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:gandrews@as.wm.edu
title:Graduate Student