Re: St. Basil's 400AD view of the Days of proclamation

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:17:50 -0400

PHSEELY@aol.com wrote:
> But, much more importantly, I cannot see any great value in this
> reinterpretation of the days of Genesis. For even if you can thereby
> rearrange the fulfillment of the events, the fulfillments entailing as they
> do the making of a rock-solid sky, setting an ocean above it which can pour
> down and flood the earth, having the earth arise out of an ocean, and then
> having the flat earth float on top of the waters (a fact which is seen more
> clearly later in the OT) will never be harmonizable with modern science
> anyway. The fact that the days are out of order geologically is minor
> compared to a solid sky with an ocean above it threatening to flood the
> earth. Or do the geological problems loom much larger to a geologist. :-)

Both the internal evidence (relations between Gen.1 & 2) & external (comparison
with scientific & historical knowledge) have to be considered. The interpretation Glenn
is proposing is supposed to be able to address the first question - or at least that's
my understanding. I think you're right that it doesn't help with the issues raised by
external evidence.

Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy