RE: Botanist: Shroud of Turin came from Jerusalem

mortongr@flash.net
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 07:29:46 +0000

At 10:40 PM 08/06/1999 -0400, Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:
>There is more to my discomfort. Suppose it is determined, beyond reasonable
>doubt, that this piece of cloth is indeed the burial cloth in which our
>Saviour was buried. Then what? What about those "blood stains?" They are
>reportedly AB-type blood. Does this mean Jesus had AB-type blood? Suppose
>we now determine (don't ask me how) that this was indeed the blood of Jesus.
>Now what? Can we determine the DNA in the blood? The chromosomes? What
>will this tell us about the virgin birth? Will it strengthen our faith?

I have been watching this with fascination. People who normally don't want
any historicity to Genesis are arguing for historical relics from Jesus'
day and vice versa.

Several questions have occurred to me, none of them are very comfortable
questions. But watching people over the years, I can envision these things
happening if certain prerequisites are obtained.

In a century or two could we recover and reconstitute enough DNA to be able
to clone Jesus?????

If one succeeds in cloning Jesus, can we make Jesus an absentee
father--2000 years absent?

Would people try to have 'Jesus' genes inserted into their children?

Would typing Jesus' blood as AB start a sect in which you had to be AB to
be a member (I would qualify--unless it is AB- then I am out).

Would some claim that Jesus only died for AB blood type people?

Would people clone the blood and every Easter dip themselves in Jesus'
blood --a third sacrament? One can think of other variants of this.

This topic is full of fascinating and dangerous what-ifs!
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm