Re: EVOLUTIONARY AND

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:02:53 -0400

Jonathan Clarke wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I was perusing the CTNS web site can came across reference to "
> EVOLUTIONARY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY" edited by: R.J. Russell, W.R.
> Stoeger and F.J. Ayala (1998) and published by the Vatican Observatory
> Press. Has anyone on the ASA list read this? What did you think?

It's a large (530 pages + intro & indices) collection of essays by Russell,
Ayala, P.Davies, Birch, G.F.R. Ellis, Hefner, Peacocke, Barbour, N.Murphy, T.Peters &
others. 4 major sections are Scientific Background, Evolution & Divine Action,
Religious Interpretations of Biological Evolution, & Biology, Ethics, & the Problem of
Evil. General tone might be taken from the title of A.Peacocke's essay, "Biological
Evolution - A Positive Theological Appraisal." I.e., the issue being dealt with is how
to treat evolution theologically, not debating whether or not it happened. I've only
skimmed it to this point but it looks worth having.
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/