RE: oral tradition

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:09:57 PDT

Hi ASA,

Ethnographic studies of oral story-tellers have shown how much their stories
can change and vary over time, lengthening and embellishing as the occasion
takes them. It's an active medium of transmission and not a static,
perserving medium. Aboriginal oral traditions varied considerably over time
because they were dynamic maps of life and custom NOT inherited
to-be-preserved-at-all-cost cultural items. I don't believe that oral
traditions had much of a role in the OT or NT since the main sources came
from literate backgrounds - Moses, prophets/priests, David, Solomon, etc.

The real issue is the amount of scribal reworking the various texts have
undergone. For example I've read that the vastly inflated ages of the
patriarchs are due to changes in numbering systems in the life-time of the
original texts and the confusion they caused scribes. Another example is the
strong parallels between the Synoptics - unlikely to be the result of oral
transmission since almost exact wording is involved with idiosyncratic
glosses - that suggest two main sources, Mark and Q.

Our Bible itself has an obscured history.

Adam