Re: Underneath it all

mrlab (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 06:44:12 -0700

--------------D6A2C0651512A0C02C4F7872

George Andrews wrote:

> Hi Bert;

>> fundamental
>> definitions
>> path for
>> not
>> without
>> >

> Glenn wrote:
>

>> > I am curious. How many physics courses have you had?
>> > glenn
>
> Bert wrote: (poetic isn't it :-) )
>

>> In this debate I think it is valuable to work from views and
>> expressions
>> and not from points of authority. This is of course egalatarian and
>> we
>> should look beyond accepting dogma based on authority. Thus, I will
>>
>> stand on my arguements and not on my credentials.
>>
>> Bert Massie
>
> It has become evident that you have not been aided by the responses to
> your original and subsequent posts regarding the explanatory potency
> of physical theories; I am sorry that my own attempts have failed but
> I did (do) enjoy the discussion.
>
> Glenn's questioning of your background is nor at all a question of
> your authority; but of your knowledge of physics; thus it is an
> appropriate question. You continue to attack physics, so you are
> obligated - for your own success as well as for intelligent discussion
> - to "know your enemy". "It is written" (in a Physics Today article
> some years ago, thereby establishing - via antiquity - this source :-)
> ) that there are two ways to learn modern physics: 1) via analogy
> and 2) devote your life to study experimentation and physical
> applications of mathematics. (paraphrase of the original :-) )
> Unfortunately, the article continues, modern physics is pregnant with
> un-intuitive ideas that have NO classical analogues; hence, only the
> second option is left. If you are not following the latter route (the
> joy is in the journey!), you are constrained to the inadequacies of
> the former.
>
> I believe, contrary to your original post, that you now see the
> distinction between physics and metaphysics; however, you are still
> demanding a physical response to a metaphysical question. By so doing,
> you are both frustrating yourself and others in attempting an answer.
> I can not ask how pink was "Stairway to Heaven" when Led Zeppelin
> first gave birth to rock stars? It mixes accepted categories of
> language and concepts (or is that concerts? Forgive me if you are not
> a "child of the 70's" as I am: just substitute a song title and band
> name of your choice :-) ).
>
> With pleasure and in Jesus our friend;
> George A.

**************************
My issue is not a confusion of physics and metaphysics. Your issue
should not be asking me to pass some kind of litmus test of training to
ask the question. Keep in mind that Gould would have Johnson shut up
because he is not "properly" trained as an evolutionary paleontologist.

My point again is that physical explanations seek to "explain" by
appealing to more and more basic "laws' or physical "things." From this
I point out that much metaphysical debate has centered arround origins.
Little has been focused on the metaphysical underpinning of what is
happening today as opposed to the time of origins. I say therefore that
physics really is about descriptions and cannot ultimately explain. The
final question is this:

In this space " " someone writes down the theory
of everything.

Now, I say explain this. What makes this work, or if you prefer, "What
holds up the processes of the universe.?" This leads us to recognition
of a metaphysical point that science cannot ultimately explain and that
something outside of accessable physical entities is making all of this
exist.

Bert M.

--------------D6A2C0651512A0C02C4F7872

George Andrews wrote: