Re: Underneath it all

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:13:50 -0400

Massie wrote:

> Upholding the Universe:
>
> Physics does not explain things without appealing to "more fundamental
> principles." Actually, physics is a system of operational definitions
> and laws. We go from atoms to nucloens to quarks and a simular path for
> the laws always stopping at some junction where we cannot or have not
> been able to go more deeper. Thus, in the end physics tells how without
> really explaining.
>
> When a materialist is asked what is going on the answer is that the laws
> of physics control the action of all the parts (in a blind purposeless
> way) and that then there were the initial conditions and thats all there
> is. Burried in this is a major metaphysical assumption.
>
> What is behind the laws of physics. How do particles know to repond to
> gravity? How did these logical rules get established and what makes
> them work? We run out of "more fundamental" constructs at some point
> and must appeal to metaphysics. A consequence is that we get down to
> some kind of information and upholding of laws which has a source of
> some kind even though we don't know what it is. All things have a
> predecedant except that which is infinite in time. SO:
>
> Where did this information come from?
>
> What forces the "laws of physics" to exist and gives them power over
> material substances?
>
> Naturalists must conceed that this power is there and that there is
> something that makes the laws of physics work. To just say that "the
> laws of physics just exist" is ignoring the real question which is why
> and how. They appeal to some metaphysical entity or source to make the
> universe work but they just will not recognize that "it" is there and
> avoid this recognition by calling "it" the "laws of physics" and
> appending a working rule that no one can ask why or how.

Bertrand Russell dismissed such questions by saying, "The world as a whole just
is, that's all. We start there. No one can force a scientist to go beyond that & to
ask why anything at all exists or why the world as a whole is as it is. Within that
framework science really can explain things "though God were not given."

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/