Re: metaphysics

George Andrews (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:23:39 -0400

--------------841CAF1E518380C1C92B796C

Hi Bert;

Massie wrote:

> Do I have any takers on explaining why it is that physics does not
> really explain anything?
>
> This metaphsical problem is generally viewed as originating from the
> issue of beginnings. That is, what is the ultimate cause and what
> caused that. Instead, we have the more immediate issue of explanations
> of what causes everyday phenomena without going to the singularity of
> the beginning if we just recognize that physics explains nothing.
>
> Bert Massie

Well - I am sorry, but it is me again. Why do you not see the reality that
physics explains much? It is in fact -BY DEFINITION - man's only
explanation of the physical universe that does not resort to magic!
(assuming other fields can be derived from physics of course :-) ) Physics
explains allot! You really do not want to except this and thus persist in
your quarrying about the vagueness of "beginnings". As you state above, it
is a metaphysical question you are asking and therefore can NOT be answered
with a physical theory!

You mention the "ultimate" cause but dismiss "immediate issues". This is
illogical for any attempt at explaining an ultimate cause is arrived at (by
those who subscribe to such arguments) by logically deducing cause from
effects starting from the presently observed "everyday phenomena", i.e. you
can't get there without starting here. The "bid bang" came from Einstein's
work in the early 20th century. Hence, the very notion of a primal cause is
based on present physical theory which you assail as void in explanatory
power. Before general relativity, the universe just was! (religious
explanations aside)

Begging the question about beginnings is like asking about the physics
inside an event horizon of a black hole - literally! Physics don't go
there; metaphysics does. Besides, we physicist are quite content to do
physics without worrying about metaphysical underpinnings; but it is
important to the pursuit of knowledge to get the categories straight so as
to ask the appropriate questions to the respective field.

Sincerely;
George A.

George A. --------------841CAF1E518380C1C92B796C--