Re: God's role

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:43:37 -0400

Massie wrote:

> Question:
>
> What is God's role in the natural universe?
>
> A physicist explains natural phenomena by appealing to some form of
> natural law. A good example is gavity. The apple falls because of
> gravity and gravity is evoted to explain the motion of the moon about
> the earth. In fact, gravity can even be quantitied by
>
> f = G mM/R/R.
>
> So there you have it but this is really not an explanation. The
> equation on this paper is not gravity but a shorthand so that we can
> make a calcualtion. What is gravity actually? I cannot touch it, see
> it, or tell you what it is.

The equation is not identical with the phenomena but the entities which exist
in the physical world can be understood as representations of a mathematical pattern, a
pattern to which our laws - such as that of Newton's - are approximations. As we
investigate further we get better approximations - e.g., Einstein's equations are better
than Newton's. Whether or not gravity is really a force or curved space-time, the
equations for the latter are closer to the truth than those for the former.

Perhaps I would wish to appeal to something
> more fundamental, that is, actually gravity has to do with the actions
> of "gravitrons." These are postilated to be tiny particles which when
> exchanged produce the so called gravitational force. What then are
> "gravitrons." What makes them work?

A quantum theory of gravity, which takes off from Einstein's theory, does speak
of gravitons. But even if that isn't the last word (which in view of string theories &c
it probably isn't), again the math of quantum gravity may be a better approximation to
the real math pattern of the universe than Einstein's classical equations.

> You see that in the final analysis all that physics provides is a scheme
> to calculate phenomena but not a real explanation. Physics is really
> not an appeal to fundamental causes in spite of its posturing at the
> pyrimid of scientific explanation but really a scheme of predictions of
> natures action.

But the fact that our theories can & often do predict qualitatively new
phenomena strongly suggests that they can be more than just a convenient way of
organizing data. I.e., there really is a mathematical pattern of the universe which
exists objectively & independent of our observations, & we discover (not simply
construct) approximations to it.

> Many believe that something has to be underneath all of these phenomena.
>
> Perhaps God is the best explanation even though a belief in Him does not
> easily dervive from this frustration of knowing the underlying mechanism
> for physical action.
Yes, if you ask why the laws of nature are as they are, & not some other way,
you have to admit the possibility of an answer in terms of God. But it isn't necessary
to denigrate scientific theories in order to do say that. Scientific theories do not
ground thenmselves but within their domain of competence they can tell us something true
about the world.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/