Re: Global Flood

Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:43:54 +0100

Hi Glenn,

My apologies for not responding earlier. I have been rather busy
assembling a further module for my personal website entitled 'Inner
Conviction'. This demonstrates further remarkable features of the
opening words of the Hebrew Scriptures - in particular, the numerical
interdependence of its words. The analysis enables us to get a handle on
the extreme odds against such a structure arising by chance.

Responding to your comments, let me say:

1) In my view, your understanding of 'cognitive dissonance' falls short,
and tends to trivialise this important matter. It is surely something
stronger and more subtle than a mere 'aversion'! No one is immune to it,
for it is lodged deep within the human psyche; it is undoubtedly a
direct and dire consequence of the Fall. The Psalmist asks, "Why do the
nations so furiously rage together against the Lord, and against His
Christ?" (Ps.2:1,2) Why, indeed? Does it make any sense? It is man's
antipathy toward his Creator that represents the essence of CG! Evidence
for His Being and Sovereignty is ignored; evidence which casts doubt on
the veracity of the Scriptures is eagerly acclaimed, and promoted with
zeal in many quarters!

2) Your understanding of God's faithfulness also needs looking at a
little more closely. You claim that God will honour the natural laws
because He is trustworthy. But, in that case, what of miracles? Does not
His transient suspension of these same laws from time to time amount to
'untrustworthiness', in your view? Isn't it the case that some TEs
require a sequence of wonders of this kind to sustain their beliefs?

Clearly, God is 'faithful' only in respect of the promises He has made
which are recorded in the Scriptures.

To Noah - and through him to mankind in general - He says, (a) "I will
not again curse the ground...for man's sake...neither will I again smite
...every living thing...", (b) "While the earth remains, seedtime and
harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night shall not
cease.", and (c) "...there shall be no more flood to destroy the
earth." (Gn.8, 9). We are also aware of the principle of 'common grace'.
More specifically, we read of the promises to the Patriarchs and,
through them, to their descendants. And, again, of the promises of
Jesus to those who believe and are faithful to him. But where do we read
that God will invariably uphold the natural order so that His sworn
enemies may the better disavow him?!

3) As one who so clearly respects empirical evidence, I am surprised
that you consistently refuse to acknowledge the numerical miracle of
Gn.1:1, and incorporate it into your thinking. Can you explain why you
are content to ignore this whilst accepting other matters as 'fact' on
greatly inferior evidence?

Sincerely,

Vernon

http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm

http://www.compulink.co.uk/~indexer/miracla1.htm

PS I shall soon be taking a holiday and will then be 'out of touch' for
a while. However, I look forward to resumimng our discussion in due
course.