Re: Fish to Amphibian

Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:55:28 +0100

Hi George,

You wrote in response to my:

> Let me take up a few points here:
>
> (1) Regarding 'common sense', wouldn't you agree that the
> whole Flood
> episode, as you see it, is rather odd? The reason for the
> event, and
> God's purpose in bringing it about, is clearly put, surely:
> "... God saw
> that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that
> every
> imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil
> continually...And
> the Lord said, I will destroy man from the face of the
> earth; both man
> and beast, and the creeping thing and the fowls of the
> air;..." (Gn.6:5,
> 6:7)..."And the waters were exceedingly mighty on the earth,
> and all the
> high mountains under all the heavens were covered;..."
> (Gn.7:19). How is
> this judgment to be effected with a flood which is merely
> local? Why
> have poor Noah build a large ocean-going vessel when he
> (with his family
> and animals) could have traversed the globe in the time
> available? We
> are informed that he alone "found grace in the eyes of the
> Lord."
> (Gn.6:8) No one else! With the exception of the occupants of
> the Ark,
> the cleansing was therefore total and complete!
>
> In my rejecting the ridiculous notion of a local Flood you
> might like to
> point out where reason and 'common sense' fail me.
>
> Common sense is in constant flux. Your reasoning is based (as is mine)
> on presuppositions. It was perfectly reasonable to argue the world was
> flat, when the data sets were limited to human vision and word of
> mouth. In other words, what is reasonable and "common sensible" is a
> function of the data set possessed. Glenn does a nice job of expanding
> the data set in his answer to this post; thus, your conclusions are
> now not reasonable and do not adhere to the common sense of the
> present scientific community of believers in Christ Jesus.

Yes, but I was referring particularly to the 'common sense' that is
independent of time and sophistication. Is it reasonable to believe that
God would require Noah to build an ark, instruct him precisely as to its
design and material of construction, and provide details concerning its
eventual biological occupants, if the Flood was to be 'local'? Something
wrong here, don't you think? Surely Noah would have been convinced -
whether believing the world to be round or flat - that every square
cubit was to be covered with enough water to drown everything outside
the ark!

Sincerely, in His Name,

Vernon

http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm