Re: Fish to Amphibian

Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:39:29 +0100

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for responding to my queries re your page 'Fish to Amphibian'.

I'm sure you will agree that an understanding of the true nature of the
Noahic Flood is crucial to the current debate, and that no stone be left
unturned in our efforts to clarify the matter. For an evolutionist like
yourself this, clearly, is no longer an issue: the inundation must have
been 'local'. However, as one who takes the Bible - and its warnings -
seriously, I have a problem with this view, for it flies in the face (a)
of the powerful narrative of Genesis 6-9, (b) of statements made by our
Lord and Peter (Mt.24:37-39, Lk.17:26-27, 1Pe.3:20), and (c) of common
sense.

For example, in the evolutionary scenario life would have extended far
beyond any site proposed for the alleged 'local' flood. Yet we read 'All
flesh that moved on the earth perished...', ie God sent the Flood to
destroy both both man and animal because both were corrupt. How could
this be accomplished other than by submerging the whole earth in water?
God's Covenant was with the entire globe (Gn.9:9-10). Does this make any
sense if the Flood were local? Again, the whole account is one of a
're-creation' - as we discover by comparing Gn.9:1 with Gn.1:28, Gn.9:2
with Gn.1:28, and Gn.9:4-5 with Gn.1:29-30. [Interestingly, this is
confirmed numerically in that Gn.8:14 (marking the end of the old order,
and heralding the new) has - in the original Hebrew - the same value as
Gn.1:1, viz 2701 - a large triangular number with impressive
attributes!]

For these reasons I believe Christians need to ask more questions about
the methods used in reading the 'record of the rocks'. Let me begin with
a few of my own:

(1) Glenn, you give size and specific gravity as the only factors which
determine the sedimentation rates of water-borne objects. But surface
features and shape must also play a part, wouldn't you agree?

(2) Do I gather from your illustration re conodonts that exactly the
same sequence is found in every site worldwide, without exception?

(3) You mention volcanic ash and lava flows as providing opportunities
for applying radiometric techniques to fix absolute dates for these
sediments. What particular methods are eligible for this purpose? On
what basis is it reasonable to assume that the 'clock' is properly reset
at the time such deposits are laid?

Sincerely,

Vernon

http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm