Re: Genesis 1 as archaeolgical 'artifact'

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 09:59:20 -0500

Ray Zimmerman wrote:

>"The scenario depicted above is necessarily
>aesthetic and speculative and, to me, raises some
>interesting questions. It was manufactured to
>cohere with as many concepts as possible, and I
>was wondering whether it might be plausible ?
>or ? is there some fatal flaw?"

I think the technical flaw in the entire Mesopotamian flood idea is the
total lack of physical/geological evidence for such an occurrence, and
the fact that anything floating on the waters of such a flood would be
washed into the Indian Ocean/Persian Gulf in about a week. I wish
someone would really be able to point to a given geologic deposit there
and make a suitable defense of the hypothesis that that deposit is the
remains of the purported flood.

Other catastrophic floods in the past have left lots of evidence of
themselves which has been preserved for up to 18,000 years (Channeled
Scablands of Washington), yet mysteriously all traces of the
Mesopotamian flood are said to have conveniently vanished.

After all, if there wasn't such a thing as a Mesopotamian flood, then
the entire concept of Noah as a Sumerian priest collapses like a house
of cards built on an infirm foundation. And no amount of hypothesizing,
wishing or hoping will make it so. No physical evidence->No
Mesopotamian flood.

For more on this see.

http://www.isource.net/~grmorton/mflood.htm

--