Re: Incarnational theology, was RE: Accepting Genesis 1 as scientific

Gary Collins (etlgycs@etluk.ericsson.se)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:55:56 +0100 (BST)

Gordon Brown wrote:

> Actually, some Christians do believe that Jesus was buried for three
> literal days and nights. They take the sabbath referred to in the gospels
> as being a special sabbath, the first day of Passover, rather than the
> regular Saturday sabbath.
>
> In his radio sermon on Palm Sunday 1998 James Montgomery Boice used this
> approach to deduce that the Triumphal Entry occurred on the day that the
> Passover lambs were driven into Jerusalem.

Thanks for your reply.

This is fascinating, I haven't come across this before. I had a quick look
last night and there does seem to be some support for this in John's gospel,
which mentions that the day after the crucifixion was to be a 'special
sabbath.' In Mark and Luke, however, it is just *the* sabbath, with no
reference to it being more than one day.

It couldn't be the first day of Passover, since wasn't it the Passover meal
which Jesus and the disciples were eating at what we now call the 'Last
Supper?'

Something I found puzzling whilst reading this up is that in Exodus and
Leviticus God said that the month of the Passover was to be the first month
of the year. Nowadays, however, Rosh Hashana (sp?) is several months from
the Passover. Do you know when and why the Jews changed this? (Sorry, this
is getting rather 'off topic' but my curiosity has definitely been aroused
here!)

/Gary