Re: Accepting Genesis 1 as scientific truth

Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 22:32:14 +0100

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments.

David Campbell wrote:

> We may not be defining TE in exactly the same way, so I should
> clarify. I am using it to refer to someone who accepts the truth of
> the Bible and believes that God's primary method of creation of
> organisms can be described as evolution. I am not referring to
> theological liberalism, which rejects the absolute authority of the
> Bible.

>...The question is not whether Genesis 1-11 is true or authoritative.
> Rather, the question is what information does God intend for us to
> learn from it.

To accomodate evolution the early chapters of Genesis have to be
'interpreted', ie forced to say something different from what a simple
reading would convey. Have you not considered the problems this creates
for our understanding of the Gospel? It undoubtedly invites criticism of
the Bible as a whole and, inevitably, leads to liberalism.

> ... There are two ways to incorporate an individual couple, named Adam
> and Eve, into a TE system. One option is to assume that they were the
> physical as well as spiritual ancestors of all humans. The evidence
> is quite strong that God created our bodies through "natural"
> processes, as the biochemical similarities with other primates are
> quite strong (including many non-functional similarities). Adam and
> Eve would be the first individuals of a new species, endowed by God
> with a spiritual nature.
>
> Another possibility is to have Adam chosen out of an existing
> population of individuals who were physically human. This idea is not
> confined to TEs; it was suggested in the 1650's if not earlier, based
> on Paul's arguments. As the second Adam was not the physical ancestor
> of anyone though the spiritual ancestor of many, Paul's analogies
> would hold up. Adam would thus be a kind of "first Abraham", being
> called out of his surroundings.
>
> Those that do explain them away would see Adam as a figure for
> humanity. Such an interpretation is more difficult to reconcile with
> the text, but possible.

You do realise that these shaky propositions rest on an even shakier
foundation, viz macroevolution - which all TEs assume, but no one has
ever observed! The truth is much more straightforward: why not believe
the Lord when he says 'It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God' (Mt.4:4)?
Those TEs who believe the Bible to be the Word of God surely have a
problem here!

Sincerely, and with kind regards,

Vernon

http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm