Re: Gastaldo

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@ursa.calvin.edu)
Mon, 24 May 1999 16:36:57 -0400

After some reflection, I've decided not to get involved in a lengthy argument
about coal formation, as a matter of fact I am going to switch to the digest ASA
list for a time and mostly ignore it. I have some papers I need to write this
summer and am moving to a permanent position in New York and life's too short
arguing this nonsense on a mailing list.

If Bill and others want to crow about how I'm a coward and how they won the
big debate, so be it. The harsh reality is that it's all a big waste of time
unless Bill and others who think all coals were deposited in a big bad flood
do some real research and publish the results in peer-reviewed journals.
Otherwise no professional geologist knows or cares what they think about it.

I've forwarded Bill's posted critiques of Bob Gastaldo's paper to Bob in
hopes that he'll comment on them. If he does (I hope he will), I'll post it
to the list for everyone's reading pleasure. Bob's homepage at Auburn is at
http://www.auburn.edu/~gastara/STICKSNMUD.htm.

Have fun rehashing this stuff over and over and over again, I'm going to
try and get some real work done!

- Steve.

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology
   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies