Re: Gastaldo

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 01:44:58 -0600

On Thu, 20 May 1999 09:40:41 -0400 Steven Schimmrich
<sschimmr@calvin.edu> writes:

>I will do so next week. In your discussions, however, you can not
>continue to reference coals which you've seen in Alabama, etc. but for
which there is
>no published information.
>I can't discuss something I haven't seen or which hasn't been properly
documented in
>the geologic literature (so I have to take your word on what's actually
there). Agreed?

No. First of all, I wasn't asking you to evaluate my personal
observations, I was asking you to evaluate my critique of Gastaldo's
paper, which is published and which you have.
As I've said before, I agree with Gastaldo's observations, I disagree
with his conclusions. We can discuss Gastaldo w/o reference to my
personal observations.

Secondly, you ruthlessly criticize YECs for not going to the field and
banging on rocks for themselves. I do go to the field and make personal
observations, and you attempt to suppress my use of primary observations.
You can't have it both ways. Although I understand your concerns, from
my POV you are trying to limit me to using second-hand observations made
by OECs. How would you like to use only published literature authored by
YECs?

Thirdly, these coals all look pretty much alike. Even the little I have
read so far on Joggins suggests that those coal seams will be virtually
the same as what I see in Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky. If it will
set your mind at ease, I can assure you that I have never been to Nova
Scotia (except for a refueling stop somewhere up there on a military
flight to Europe), so I will be working solely from the literature when
we talk Joggins.

Again, I invite you or anyone else interested in coal to Alabama to see
for yourself. In October, the Alabama Geological Society will host a
two-day field trip in the Cahaba Coal basin, led by Jack Pashin and
Richard Carroll, geologists with the Alabama Geological Survey. They're
going to explain why this basin was a tidal lagoon at one time.

Bill
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]