Re: Four Rivers Revisited

Allen Roy (allen@infomagic.com)
Thu, 20 May 1999 23:27:16 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_01BEA318.4C6B5E00

> From: Steve Schimmrich <sschimmr@calvin.edu>
> I have nothing against private mailing lists, I belong to one myself.
> think it's foolish for most hard-core YEC to confine themselves to CRSnet
and
> not engage in open discussion of their ideas on lists like the ASA list,
> that's their business (and I can understand why they're reluctant to do
so
> since their arguments are often shown to be fraudulent and flimsy).

As most email list, the majority of the CRSnet members are silent lurkers
largely due to lack of time to enter the discussions. Of the vocal 20 to
30, the majority of them are very active on an assortment of list and
newsgroups and web bulletin boards. I just happen to be one that is on
this net. I don't know of any who restrict themselves to just CRSnet. It
is possible, but not from what I have read.

> I was hot and bothered because Allen took a posting I made to the ASA
list
> and, instead of copying it verbatim, reported it in such a way on the
CRSnet
> that it bore no resemblence to the truth (and why is it that YECs rarely
> honestly quote other people -- they have a long history of shamefully
> misrepresenting other's statements?). I sent PRIVATE e-mail to Allen to
> complain and he was more annoyed that someone informed me of the CRSnet
post
> then he was that I took him to task for lying about me.

If any YEC quoted anything verbatim that you wrote, you would always claim
it was take out of context simply because they were YEC. From what I
remember, you were only upset with my short anonymous description of you,
given to give context to the quote. If you kept any of the exchange, I'd
be glad to look it over again. I checked my back files and couldn't find
them.

> Allen typically takes criticism of the ideas he posts to ASA and then
> reposts them to CRSnet for help in replying and then posts the replies
here as
> his own ideas. Another thing Allen does is act as an intermediary for
YECs
> who are too cowardly to engage in debate directly and pass on their
comments
> second hand. Most notable were his passing on of John Woodmorappe's
> despicable comments in rebuttal to my critique of his work. Read them at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/essays/essays.html.

Which would you rather do, go to a chemical reference book, or go to a
professional, working Ph.D. Chemist? Which would you rather do, look
through an encyclopedia on Astronomy or consult a professional, working
Ph.D. Astronomer? Which would you rather do, consult the Web about
meteorology, or talk with a professional, working Ph.D. meteorologist? I
would then take what I learned and rephrase it or quote it anonymously
(saying that a friend had said ...).

Woodmorappe does not normally engage in debate because he does not have
time for it. He only responded to Schimmerich's critiques because they
were the most virulent anti-Creationary attacks he had encountered.
Woodmorappe can be as virulent as Schimmrich and that is what you see in
the above link. After several exchanges, he quite because it was wasting
too much of his valuable time on nothing.

Allen

PS: I'll be off line for a week. See you later.