Re: Accepting Genesis 1 as scientific truth

Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:09:30 +0100

Dear Paul,

Thanks for writing.

You have written substantial papers on this topic, and I am impressed.
However, with respect, I can't agree with your statement: "... the basic
scientific picture in which this revelation (Genesis 1) is embedded is
the science of the times." In my view the creation narrative is a simple
statement of revealed truth. Further, however the ancients understood
this truth can hardly be of any concern to us today, for through
empirical observation and deduction we now have, by God's grace, a
fuller view of reality. In respect of how we come to be here, why should
it be supposed that God would speak truth only to the contemporaries of
the Patriarchs? So, I don't believe I am being inconsistent in accepting
the narrative as literal truth.

I think you will agree that for many people science has become a god.
They seem to believe that answers to all man's problems can be found
outside the Scriptures. Unfortunately for them evidence is now to hand
that Genesis 1:1 is supernaturally designed! - with interesting
implications for the future course of the creation-evolution debate. As
an example, consider the sequence of creativity given in Genesis 1. Is
it now reasonable to argue that our Creator got it wrong when he stated
'birds on day 5 'and 'land animals on day 6'? Something has to give! -
and, logically, it can't be Genesis 1! Perhaps TEs should expend some
effort in devising a line of descent which circumvents this anomaly.

Sincerely,

Vernon

"When I show a man he is inconsistent, I make him decide whether of the
two he loves better, the portion of truth he already holds, or the
portion of error." (J.H.Newman, Tract 85)

Vernon Jenkins MSc
[musician, mining engineer, and formerly Senior Lecturer in Maths and
Computing,the Polytechnic of Wales (now the University of Glamorgan)]

http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm

http://www.compulink.co.uk/~indexer/miracla1.htm