Re: Private lists like CRSnet]

Steven Schimmrich (sschimmr@ursa.calvin.edu)
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:00:03 -0400

James Mahaffy <mahaffy@mtcnet.net> wrote:

> Absolutely right. But this group could let folks defend themselves under a
> little less hostile pressure. I suspect some of you don't know how
> intimidating we can be. How long would a YEC pastor that doesn't know his
> geology or science but really wants some answers last on this group? After
> reading posts for a week, would he dare ask us his questions?

I disagree. I don't think people get attacked when they post questions about
YEC in a sincere desire to learn what scientists think about it. They get attacked
when either:

1. They have a long history of posting the same old unsupported YEC stuff over and
over again and always refusing to substantively deal with any criticisms of
their position (instead vanishing for a time and resurfacing with a new claim
"disproving" whatever aspect of modern science that disagrees with them). I
think we all know the people I'm referring to here.

or...

2. They obviously know little to nothing about science and then proceed to lecture
everyone on why YEC is true and scientists are modern-day heretics for believing
in an old Earth, no global flood, evolution, etc. I've seen YEC pastors do
this and am always amazed at the chutzpah it takes to lecture people on a subject
they're ignorant of!

I see little reason to give such people extra credibility by not strongly refuting
their arguments (if you don't, they turn around and say "See, YEC must be true because
the 'evilutionists' can't answer this argument!" -- and I've seen this done by ICR
folk).

- Steve.

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich                         Assistant professor of geology
   Department of Geology and Geography          sschimmr@calvin.edu (office)