Re: The Genesis Factor

Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Thu, 13 May 1999 22:17:37 +0100

Hi Brian,

Before replying to David's post of 10 May, it is appropriate that I
immediately challenge your understanding of Mt.7:20. Writing to John,
you said: "... before we get too caught up in testing the fruits of
doctrines or philosophies it may be a good idea to read Matthew 7:15-20.
Here we find that the Lord is not actually telling us to test the fruits
of doctrines but to test the fruits of 'false prophets'...there is, I
believe, an enormous difference between looking at the fruit of some
abstract idea and looking at the fruit of a person's life..."

But don't abstract ideas originate in the human mind? and are they not
propagated by teaching? To understand what is meant by a 'false prophet'
it is first necessary to understand the term 'prophet'. Chambers
dictionary states that a prophet is 'someone who speaks on behalf of a
deity; someone who proclaims a divine message; an inspired teacher; a
foreteller; etc. Thus, he is someone with a mission; someone who has a
message to convey to his fellows.

In the context of the verses in question Matthew Henry therefore
rightly concludes that a 'false prophet' is a 'false teacher' who
preaches 'false doctrine in those things that are essential to religion;
who teaches that which is contrary to the truth as it is in Jesus'.

Brian, I don't think we are at liberty to interpret the Lord's warning
as simply relating to the personal conduct of an individual. It is
rather whether his or her teaching inspires in others what MH refers to
as 'serious piety, humility, charity, holiness and love' - or their
opposites. It is these, surely, that are the 'fruits', of the doctrine
proclaimed, and they enable us to form a view of that doctrine!

Sincerely, and with kind regards,

Vernon

"When I show a man he is inconsistent, I make him decide whether of the
two he loves better, the portion of truth he already holds, or the
portion of error." (J.H.Newman, Tract 85)