RE: Life in the Lab -- Fox and the Nobel Prize

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 21:22:37 -0700

At 09:41 AM 5/11/99 -0400, Moorad wrote:
>I do not know the literature but I am sure that there are well-known
>scientists who are very critical of the claim that the protocells of Fox are
>alive.

Art: Although Fox had a national reputation, his professional colleagues at
University of Miami who were biologists/biochemists considered him to be a
bit of a charlatan.

References please.

Art: They seemed not to have much respect for his science,
and occasionally they would poke fun at his work in classes.

Envy?

Art: But mostly they regarded his work as irrelevant to origin of life.

Perhaps but that needs to be established and furthermore the issue is a little bit of a strawman since the argument was not if this was the path abiogenesis has taken.