RE: aspartame

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Mon, 3 May 1999 10:22:15 -0400

Janine,

As a rule, I avoid aspartame because I don't like its taste and I have never
bothered to find out much about it. Out of curiosity, I did a quick search
on the Internet using the Altavista search engine and came up with 14082
hits. The first dozen or so are very negative towards aspartame; in fact, I
couldn't find any article that had anything good to say about this product.

I don't know anything about the World Environmental Conference but I can
guess which corner it is in. I would suggest you find out a bit more about
this conference and what its agenda is. A lot of these groups will use
scare tactics to get their point across.

I would not be one bit surprised if aspartame has some negative effects, but
one has to be careful in assessing the importance of these effects. For
example, it may well be correct to say that "the methanol in it converts to
formaldehyde in the retina of the eye." (I don't know if this is true, but
I'm using it as an example). First one has to ask how much methanol there
is in aspartame. The next question is how much of the methanol is converted
to formaldehyde in the body and of that amount, how much of that conversion
takes place in the retina.

The next question to ask is how much methanol is ingested/inhaled by other
foodstuffs. For example, (I don't know), is there any methanol in beer or
wine? If so, how does the intake of methanol compare with that of
aspartame? Critics of Monsanto and other chemical industries will generally
not state that.

To simply state that "aspartame contains a deadly poison" is scaremongering.
The statement should identify the poison and the concentration of that
poison. Water can be considered a poison. If you drink too much, you will
die because of an electrolyte imbalance. Yet, we don't say that fruit
juices contain a "deadly poison," referring to water.

Many trace chemicals are necessary to sustain life, for example, trace
amounts of selenium, copper, and zinc are essential, yet too high a
concentration is life threatening. Same goes for vitamins: not enough and
you have problems and too much and you have problems. (I'm not a
nutritionist but I do know that some vitamins are deposited into fatty
tissue and can accumulate there).

How much aspartame will cause problems? I don't know but nutritionists will
know. For example, how much aspartame can one take in on a daily basis? If
I drink all the soft drink, sweetened with aspartame, that I can, will I
have a problem or do I have to eat the stuff straight, as a powder or liquid
(assuming I could get it past my tongue). What have epidemiological studies
shown?

Even if aspartame has some side effects, it should not be judged in
isolation. Is it worse than the alternatives?

I would suggest you contact nutritionists and talk to medical staff at one
of your local hospitals or science professors at your institute for some
guidance.

I applaud your intent to discover how science is being reported by the media
and I wish you well. It has been my experience that the media as a rule, do
not employ science writers. A newspaper may well have half a dozen sports
writers, but they will send out a "general purpose" reported to cover
science issues. I know from personal experience. The general public does
not have a sufficient science background and cannot judge the validity of a
scientific claim and, being suspicious, will listen to the critics.

I have added a few comments in your text.

Hope this will do. If you wish to continue this correspondence, I suggest
we do this "off list" since the ASA (as far as I know) may not want to go
into this direction (although I think there is a common thread).

Chuck

Dr. T.T. Vandergraaf
Senior Scientist
Engineered Barriers & Analysis Branch