Re: Phil Johnson on Focus on the Family

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:31:51 -0600

At 03:15 PM 4/27/99 -0400, Moorad Alexanian wrote:
> ... I do believe that tenure and promotions in most universities are
>based on certain intangibles as, for instance, your faith and how strongly
>you show it. I think Johnson is right! Let us face it university faculties
>are composed mostly of liberals and radicals. Where does a Christian fit in
>such a system?

Without dealing with other issues, let me quickly point out that the
comment by Johnson which started this thread was with regard to
scientists *in Christian colleges and universities*. So, at least for
that set of people, showing one's faith would presumably not be a
negative for tenure and promotion, and Moorad's comments would not apply.
If you say Johnson is right, you are saying that many of our brothers
and sisters on the faculties at Wheaton, Calvin, etc., are seriously
lacking in integrity. I hope you do not mean to say that.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |