Re: Precambrian Geology (1)

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:32:44 -0600

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:53:46 -0500 "Glenn R. Morton"
<grmorton@waymark.net> writes:

>Are you aware that tsunami deposits are largely UNSORTED rubble with
>particles of all sizes? That is NOT what we see in the geologic
>column. We see excellently sorted particles, and microscopic fossils
>sorted by either their shape or their exterior patterning on the tests
>(shells). Why only animals with certain patterns are deposited at one
>period during the flood remains a realy mystery to me and was one of the
>things that eventually led me away from YECism.

>Allen Roy wrote:

>> Just how this model can explain the deposition of forams,
nannoplankton and
>> diatoms as described, I don't know at this time. But, in my optimism
for
>> the model, I expect an explanation can be found.

>YOu are an unusually(unreasonably/blindly) optimistic fellow. You are
>suggesting that NO explanation is a reason to believe your view.

That's _not_ what Allen said, Glenn. He said, "I expect an explanation
_can_ be found. In the meantime, he is looking for an explanation to
explain the data within his model.

I tend to agree with Glenn that hydrodynamic sorting is not the answer,
and that the widespread horizontal/narrow vertical distribution of index
fossils reflects what was alive at the time. Glenn and I would disagree
only in the length of time required to modify the morphologies. I would
say that under unusually high stress conditions, shell variations
occurred quickly, were spread around the world by currents, and then
changed again as deposition continued with still different types.

The last time I suggested this, Wesley Elsberry (?) challenged me to
explain this view in light of an article in a London publication. I was
unable to locate the article/publication. If Wesley sees this, and would
copy/mail the article to me, I will be happy to take a shot at it. Just
contact me off-line for my address.

Within the last few months, there was a post supporting rapid change
under high stress; unfortunately, I can't find it now.

There, Glenn. Now you've got one less reason not to be a YEC. :-)

Bill
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]