Re: Four Rivers Revisited

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:30:08 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Allen Roy wrote:

> Why did Driver guess that Havilah was in northeast Arabia? Because a river
> named Euphraties was near by and that there was gold in Arabia? What is
> the independent, extra-Biblical evidence?

There are some clues in the Bible as to the location of Havilah. The
descendants of Ishmael settled from Havilah to Shur, which is east of
Egypt. (Gen. 25:18) Saul defeated the Amalekites from Havilah as you go to
Shur, which is east of Egypt. (I Sam. 15:7) If Shur was east of Egypt, it
seems likely that Havilah was even further east.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395