Re: Four Rivers Revisited

Allen Roy (allen@infomagic.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:51:32 -0700

> From: Adam Crowl <qraal@hotmail.com>
> In the news lately have been recent finds of dinosaur nests,
> something unlikely to be a part of Flood deposits, but necessarily so
> if we accept Woodmorappe's version of the Flood [= creator of all
> sediments prior to Pleistocene.]

If the Flood catastrophe occurred during the usual laying time for the
dinos, then attempted nesting would of course be expected on any exposed
sediments during the catastrophe.

> Another interesting fact is the
> remains of breccia produced by impactors. We're talking big chunks of
> consolidated ROCK thrown out by impactors, something that's unlikely
> to have been created in mere days if all the sediments were created
> in the Flood.

If the rocks were limestones or sandstones cemented by calcium carbonates,
then there is not a real problem. Concrete, using Portland Cement which
made from lime, reaches 98% maximum strength in 28 days. The proposed
impact storm is thought to have lasted for some 150 days. So at least some
of the limestones or sandstones could have reached pretty near maximum
strength during the impact storm.

> I've been trying to do some energetics analyses of impacts over the
> past 600 million years. Combined with reasonable estimates for inputs
> of IPD [space dust] the total energy input significantly increases
> the effective temperature of the Earth, which would be lethal for
> life, especially since all the lava produced over the last "600
> million years" has pumped out vast amounts of CO2, and all those
> impacts into the ocean threw up huge amounts of water vapour and
> probably methane from ocean bottom clathrates. Add to those
> greenhouse gases ammonia from comets and the thermal problem for the
> Earth becomes very serious. That heat had to be lost some how, and
> with a massive greenhouse blocking a good portion of the thermal
> spectrum the temperature is going to rise...

Don't forget to comput the heat reducing factors, such as:

1. Impact explosion created 2NO which radiates heat at high rates in the IR
window frequencies.

2. Impact ejected dust and aerosols in the high atmosphere which will block
much of the solar radiation resulting in conditions similar to the feared
nuclear winter effect from nuclear war.

3. Surface blasts in water will inject vast amounts of water vapor into the
high atmosphere which will condense on dust and aerosols. Constant rain
would continually wash the atmosphere of many contaminants.

4. As the atmosphere warms up it will expand and reduce the optical depth
caused by dust and aerosols. IR radiation can more freely escape within
the IR windows not blocked by CO2.

Allen